Journalist, author, consultant – and robot hire for events
Chris Middleton is an acknowledged expert on robots, automation, and AI. He has written numerous articles and features for leading tech titles, appeared several times on the BBC discussing the impact of these technologies, and hosted major robotics conferences.
Journalist and author
Chris’ expertise in robots embraces humanoid machines, AI, industrial robotics, automation, the Internet of Things, ethics, human rights, employment, and robots’ impact on numerous industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, and engineering. He has written about these for Computing, diginomica, Citywire, Hack & Craft News, and the Digital Marketing World Forum, among many others. Along the way, Chris has interviewed some of the world’s leading robotics experts, including Prof. Hiroshi Ishiguro, and has appeared on radio and TV (see below), and in the press, such as in this article in the Evening Standard.
• You will find over a dozen original reports on robotics and AI on the homepage of this site.
• Links to many of Chris’ other recent articles are at the foot of this page.
Radio, TV, public speaking, and consultancy
Chris has given speeches on AI and robotics at universities, schools, colleges, corporate events, exhibitions and trade shows, and has helped several blue-chip companies to imagine the future and develop new business/tech strategies.
In 2017, he hosted the event ‘Rise of the Machines’ for The Crowd, in London, and gave two speeches on the business impact of robotics and AI at the Sensors Show (NEC Birmingham).
Also in 2017, Chris appeared as a robotics expert on TV in the US, and on ITN in EMEA. He was interviewed live on air on BBC Radio 2’s Drive Time show, and on local BBC stations about the societal impact of AI and robotics, and was a panelist on a live podcast from the Brighton Digital Festival, about the impact of AI and big data.
If you would like Chris to help you develop or present robotics/AI content for broadcast, please get in touch.
Chris has a collection of robots, including his famous NAO-25 humanoid, Stanley Qubit, and Joe Auton, a Robi robot designed by robotics legend Tomotaka Takahashi.
In February 2017, Stanley Qubit made history as the first real robot ever to appear in a dramatisation of Isaac Asimov’s ‘I, Robot’ stories, on BBC Radio 4. The drama won two awards at the New York Radio Festival.
In August 2015, Stanley Qubit co-hosted the BBC1 show Sunday Morning Live, with Sian Williams, and took part in a live debate on the future of intelligent machines, with musician/broadcaster Ana Matronic and playwright Bonnie Greer.
Chris’ robot business hires out Stanley Qubit and Joe Auton to PR companies, event organisers, exhibitions, technology providers, broadcasters, filmmakers, and schools.
Recent articles by Chris
• AI and automation: the real political cost (diginomica)
• Agtech: Where field and server farms meet (Hack & Craft News)
• UK AI report: academic, disconnected, disappointing (diginomica)
• Skills and education: the real robot battleground (diginomica)
• The UK’s automation strategy: good idea, or economic suicide? (diginomica)
• How to build a benevolent robot (diginomica)
• Did Jeremy Corbyn really call for a robot tax? (diginomica)
• Industrial robotics: PAL manufacturing vs. the new China Syndrome (diginomica)
• Calling Doctor Robot: the ethical and technical obstacles (diginomica)
• Rolls Royce’s robotic jet engine surgery (Hack & Craft News)
• Why a quarter of workers really could be robots (Hack & Craft News)
• Is AI automating racism? (LinkedIn)
• How to navigate AI’s ethical minefield (diginomica)
• Is government impeding the robot revolution? (diginomica)
• Rise of the Britbot: UK Robotics Week reveals great progress (diginomica)
• Hermes delivers self-driving robots to London’s streets (diginomica)
• AI: friend or foe? Part 1 (Hack & Craft News)
• AI: friend or foe? Part 2 (Hack & Craft News)
• Think tank claims robots and AI will claim 250,00 public sector jobs (diginomica)
• Davos report: Do ethics and AI use the same code? (diginomica)
• Make way for the Eurobot! Brussels seeks to regulate robots and AI (diginomica)
• IBM’s Watson puts AI in the cloud (diginomica)
• Make way for the robot wealth manager (Computing)
• Rise of the Robots (two-part report on this website)
• Salesforce’s theory of AI with everything (#DMWF)
• Why robots should be kept out of finance and accounting (diginomica)
• AI-driven marketing: Google vs. Microsoft (#DMWF)
• Why the robot banking machine doesn’t add up (diginomica)
• The Political Algorithm: Who Guards the Guards in a Robot World?
• How Amazon’s Echo could kill marketing (diginomica)
• Marketing automation: Why you could soon be replaced by a robot (#DMWF)
• Ultimate Robot (book, DK, edited and co-written by Chris)